The Martian Chronicles The Million-Year Picnic
Advertisement - Guide continues below
The Million-Year Picnic
- Timothy and his family (mom, dad, and two younger brothers, Michael and Richard) are off on a vacation on Mars.
- Timothy is old enough to know that something is a little weird.
- They're supposed to go fishing, but Dad is nervous and sad, especially when he talks about Earth and the war going on there.
- It turns out that the family isn't here for a vacation—they're staying on Mars forever. Dad saved a rocket for just this occasion.
- Although the younger boys are a little sad, Timothy tries to make it a game. He's in an in-between position—not yet an adult, but not a kid anymore either.
- There's another family that might be joining them, a family with four daughters. (Hmm, try to do the math on that one.)
- The dad, William, blows up the rocket and burns a bunch of Earth papers, then he goes to show the family where the Martians are.
- He brings them to a canal where they can see their reflection.
- Get it? They're the Martians.
- Oh, Bradbury, you're so clever.