Middlemarch Book 3, Chapter 28
Advertisement - Guide continues below
Book 3, Chapter 28
- The chapter opens with Dorothea in her little room at Lowick – they're back from their honeymoon (good: maybe we'll find out why Lydgate was called to Lowick at the end of the previous chapter).
- She looks at the portrait of Will's grandmother, and is reminded of him.
- Celia and Mr. Brooke come to visit, and Dorothea goes down to see them.
- Celia tells her that she's now engaged to Sir James Chettam, and Dorothea is glad for her.
- Sir James has gone on with the plan to improve the cottages on his estate (and has employed Caleb Garth to do the planning and building).