Middlemarch Book 8, Chapter 77
Advertisement - Guide continues below
Book 8, Chapter 77
- Lydgate is out all day the next day, and Rosamond is looking forward to Will Ladislaw's visit.
- Dorothea has enjoyed thinking of Will since he left. She is proud of the fact that he was blameless in the gossip about Rosamond Lydgate.
- Dorothea has a letter for Lydgate with a check for a thousand pounds – she wants him to be free to return the money to Bulstrode as soon as possible.
- She plans to give the letter to Rosamond and reassure her about her husband's innocence.
- She arrives at the Lydgates' house, and asks the servant girl if Mrs. Lydgate is home.
- The servant opens the door to the living room without saying a word, and Dorothea walks in.
- She sees Will Ladislaw sitting on the couch next to Rosamond, clasping both her hands, and speaking intently about something.
- They look up and see Dorothea.
- Will looks horrified, but doesn't say anything.
- Dorothea looks cold and distant, and says that she was just there to deliver an important letter for Lydgate.
- She sets it on the table, and walks out.
- She gets back into her carriage, and goes to Fres***t Hall to see her sister.
- She's so angry that she feels energized—she doesn't cry, but her sister can tell something is up.
- Dorothea doesn't break down until she gets home.