Advertisement - Guide continues below
Book 8, Chapter 86
- Caleb comes into his house and asks his wife where Mary is.
- He goes outside to have a serious chat with his daughter.
- He asks her if she's really sure about Fred, and willing to wait a long while to be married.
- Of course she is, and she's cheerful about it.
- Then her father tells her that Fred is going to live at Stone Court and manage the estate there.
- Mary is, of course, delighted.
- Fred arrives shortly afterwards, and she goes to tell him the good news.
- They're about to smooch when one of Mary's little brothers comes running out of the house and interrupts.
More on Middlemarch