The Mysteries of Udolpho Volume 3, Chapter 9
Advertisement - Guide continues below
Volume 3, Chapter 9
- Em recruits Ludovico, Annette's sweetheart, to investigate whether Valancourt is in the dungeons.
- Ludovico can't get confirmation that the prisoner is definitely Valancourt, but he brings back some weird news: there's a prisoner in the dungeon who definitely knows Em.
- What's more, the prisoner gives Ludovico Em's mom's bracelet, which contains a picture of Em. Think back to Chapter 1 when Em's mom lost her beloved bracelet.
- So Em doesn't care so much that her beloved is a thief, so long as he's her beloved Valancourt.
- Through Ludovico, Em arranges a meeting with her mystery suitor.
- But it's not Valancourt. It's a random Frenchman named Du Pont who's been obsessed with Em from afar for a long time. He loves her with a capital "L."
- Somehow, the poor guy ended up in Montoni's dungeons. He's about to say more when Verezzi comes at him with a sword.
- That's right, it's duel time once again. Du Pont manages to beat Verezzi without raising a hullaballoo in the castle.
- While Verezzi lies stunned on the floor, Du Pont, Ludovico, Annette, and Em hightail it from the castle on stolen horses. Carpe diem, right?
- Eh, there's a bit of a wrench in the plan. None of the group has any cash.
- But since everything works out, there's a bag on one of the stolen horses with some cold, hard moolah.
- The group hops a boat for Marseilles, France, to get far away from Udolpho and the evil Montoni. Huzzah!