The Mysteries of Udolpho Volume 4, Chapter 17
Advertisement - Guide continues below
Volume 4, Chapter 17
- Unfortunately, Signora Laurentini/Agnes passes away after her big confession.
- Fortunately, she's left a big chunk of money and estates to Em, including Udolpho. Em just can't get away from her favorite place.
- Let's get a little more context on our favorite lady-turned-nun before closing the book on her.
- She was a spoiled child who grew into a dangerous beauty and fell hard for the Marquis de Villeroi when he was on a trip through Venice.
- And man, was the Signora jealous when he married the Marchioness.
- She convinced the Marquis to administer a slow-working poison to his dear wife and sit back and let her die slowly. Not a nice lady.
- But here's what Em's really worried about: was the Marchioness her mom?
- Nope, says the friar who was with St. Aubert in his last moments.
- Here's a soap opera twist coming atcha: St. Aubert was the Marchioness's brother. It all makes sense now.
- Since we're revealing all the big secrets now, you might wonder about what Em saw under the black-veiled picture at Udolpho. Remember how Em didn't feel like telling us what she saw?
- Well, it was a partially decayed wax figure that looked like it was disfigured by worms. What the heck?
- Clearly, Em is pretty shaken up by this series of revelations. However, she's also super, super rich.