The Once and Future King Book 3, Chapter 4
Advertisement - Guide continues below
Book 3, Chapter 4
- To recap: Lancelot is eighteen, on his way to Camelot with Uncle Dap, and he's super jealous of not only Gawain, but also Guenever. He wants Arthur all to himself.
- As they're riding toward Camelot (they're off the boat now), they run into a knight all in black armor that challenges Lancelot to a joust.
- This is a big moment for our Lance; it's his first Real Life Joust with a Real Life Knight.
- He gets a good look at the anonymous knight's shield. It's gold with a red dragon. Uh oh… dragon: this sounds kind of familiar.
- When they get back to the palace, Arthur knights Lancelot. He was waiting specially for Arthur to do this. He could have been knighted a couple of years ago.
- He also meets Guenever, and is so not impressed.
- He really doesn't like her, until one day when they're out hawking, and Guenever makes a mistake reeling the hawk back in, and does it wrong.
- Lance isn't really happy about this, and gives her a dirty look.
- Then, he realizes that he has hurt her, and that she's a real person.