- To impress Reza, Marjane wears makeup out.
- The guardians—those who enforce the restrictive religious law—show up for a raid.
- To deflect attention away from herself, Marjane says a nearby man said something indecent to her. That man is arrested.
- Reza praises Marjane's quick thinking and self-preservation skills.
- Later, she relays the story to Grandma. Grandma is, well, less than praising. "I think that you're a selfish b****" (33.46), she says. Whoa. Our grandma just gives us ugly sweaters…
- Grandma is sorely disappointed in Marjane. Her ancestors died to protect innocents, and Marjane is pinning blame on them to escape her own punishment.
- Marjane is mortified that Grandma is disappointed in her.