- Marji is sad that her dad never went to prison. "My father was not a hero" (8.1), she says.
- Luckily for her though, her Uncle Anoosh was.
- His story is pretty scary: He was loyal to his uncle Fereydoon, who proclaimed the independence of Azerbaijan; naturally, the Shah was not happy.
- Anoosh has a dream: "dead people, blood" (8.13). Um, at least he wasn't in his underwear in front of all the dead people, right?
- The next morning, his uncle is assassinated, and Anoosh flees.
- He gains asylum in the U.S.S.R, and even marries. He hates his wife, though he never says why.
- When he returns to Iran, he is captured and imprisoned for nine years. Marji thinks that is awesome.