Pride and Prejudice Chapter 57
Advertisement - Guide continues below
- Elizabeth can't help but wonder where Lady Catherine's extraordinary idea came from.
- She finds out the next morning, when Mr. Bennet calls Elizabeth into his study to congratulate her on her connection to Mr. Darcy.
- Apparently Mr. Collins has written to (1) congratulate Mr. Bennet on Jane's engagement and (2) warn him that Lady Catherine isn't too happy about Elizabeth's engagement to Mr. Darcy.
- Mr. Bennet thinks this is totally hilarious, since they obviously hate each other.
- (But we have to wonder: where did Collins get this idea? From Charlotte?)
- Elizabeth laughs too, even though she really wants to cry.