Grace – 40°F
- It's been three days, and a few things have changed. Grace has a new car. And, oh yeah, Jack's dying of meningitis. Oops.
- Grace suggests taking him to a hospital, but since he's supposed to be dead, Isabel doesn't think that's a valid option.
- Olivia, on the other hand, is excited to turn wolfy for the winter. She says goodbye to Grace and practically skips into the yard, shedding clothes as she goes.
- Then, “she was a light, light wolf, joyful and leaping. […] It was as if she had been meant for it” (62.52).
- Within the hour, Jack dies. The only humans left that Grace knows are herself and Isabel. (She seems to have forgotten about former bestie, Rachel, who is so far out of the loop at this point.)