Slaughterhouse-Five Chapter 5, Section 17
Advertisement - Guide continues below
Chapter 5, Section 17
- The Englishmen are totally surprised at the sight of the filthy people who have appeared in their camp.
- One of the Englishmen sees that Billy is on fire and puts him out.
- When Billy doesn't say anything, an Englishman asks if Billy can talk and/or hear.
- Billy nods.
- The Englishman is filled with pity: he says Billy's not a man, he's a broken kite.
- The Englishman asks if Billy is really an American.
- Billy says yes, he is a private. He doesn't remember what has happened to his boots.
- The Englishman is shocked by Billy's coat. He tells Billy that the coat is an insult. The Englishman says Billy shouldn't let the Germans humiliate him like that.
- Billy faints.
- He comes to realizing that he has eaten, and he's sitting and facing the stage where Cinderella is being performed.
- Billy laughs hysterically, so hard that his laughs turn to screams.
- They carry him to a neighboring shed, which has a hospital. There are no other patients there.