The Danish Girl Chapter 4
Advertisement - Guide continues below
- This chapter is Greta's flashback, picking up where her Chapter 2 flashback left off.
- She returns to California. How are things on the west coast? Greta hates it.
- Her family is rich and kind of a big deal, and Greta hates being "Miss Greta Waud" (4.5).
- She only looks forward to letters from Einar.
- One day, at a meeting of the Pasadena Arts and Crafts Society, she meets a man named Teddy Cross.
- She really likes him.
- After she receives a letter from Einar that simply says, "I expect we will never see each other again, which is probably for the best" (4.25), she decides to move on with Teddy.
- She invites him to a debutante ball, and later, the two are married.
- Greta becomes pregnant with Teddy's baby, and she names it Carlisle, after her brother.
- But the baby is born with the umbilical cord around his neck, dead.
- Saddest flashback ever.
The Danish Girl Chapter 4 Study Group
Ask questions, get answers, and discuss with others.
Tired of ads?
Join today and never see them again.