Advertisement - Guide continues below
Part 1, Chapter 1
- Einar and Greta, husband and wife, are painting together in their Copenhagen apartment.
- Greta paints portraits; Einar paints landscapes—mostly bogs. There are very few happy trees.
- Greta's model—Anna, an opera singer—is unable to pose today, so Greta asks Einar to wear women's shoes and stockings so she can finish the portrait.
- He resists as first but then he tries them on.
- There, that wasn't so bad, was it?
- Once he's in the shoes, Greta asks Einar to try on Anna's dress so she can paint the hem.
- He slips it on, and Greta asks if he likes wearing it.
- He does.
- Greta hands him a bouquet of lilies and begins painting.
- But Einar is embarrassed when Anna comes in and sees him in the dress.
- The two women laugh, but then Greta says to Einar, "Why don't we call you Lili?" (1.67)
More on The Danish Girl