The Ear, the Eye, the Arm Chapter 7
Advertisement - Guide continues below
- Below ground, Tendai, Rita, and Kuda are all in a grungy compound with the vlei people.
- This whole time, Tendai thought these tunnels beneath the city were empty, but there are swarms of people down here.
- He thinks it's weird that they don't talk or sing while they are working, mining for plastic that the She Elephant can sell.
- Kuda is scared, but Tendai promises him they'll get to go home soon. He hopes his little brother believes him.
- The She Elephant brings them old, dingy clothes and tells one of her workers to sell the kids' stuff in the market.
- She feeds them sadza (translation: a thick porridge). Tendai wants to refuse it to act like a tough warrior, but he's just too hungry.
- He gobbles down the food, and it's actually pretty good. Rita, on the other hand, doesn't eat under protest.
- She also calls the She Elephant fat and stupid. Yeah, Rita's not making friends anytime soon…
- Too bad Kuda doesn't get the message. He loves the food and asks for seconds right away.
- Just then, the vlei people creep up on the kids. They are all, "ooh, they are so pretty" and "poor babies" and it's a little weird.
- The She Elephant barks at them to get back to work—immediately—or else she won't feed them dinner.
- It's clear she runs a tight ship around there.