The Earth, My Butt, and Other Big Round Things Chapter 18
Advertisement - Guide continues below
- Dr. Shreves is sending a care package to Anaïs in Burkina Faso, and she's asked Virginia if she wants to include a letter.
- Virginia tries to write one, but she can't pretend everything is fine, and she knows her mom wouldn't want her to talk about the date rape.
- After throwing away the seventh letter, she heads to a card store and buys a card instead.
- Inside, she writes that she hopes all is well, and adds, "I miss you."
- Well, that's pretty Shreves-worthy.
- Back at school, they're having a ceremony to hand out the Model Brewster Student awards.
- It's also Halloween, and the Bri-girls are wearing skintight cat suits to show off their skinniness.
- Virginia sees Froggy in the stands, sitting next to a girl named Sarah.
- A girl named Alyssa, who's always knitting something, asks Virginia if she's Byron Shreves' sister.
- Virginia tentatively says yes.
- Alyssa doesn't know about the rape. She just wants to tell Virginia she's heard Byron won the Model Brewster Student award every year he was there, and that he's a great guy.
- Virginia tells her not to believe everything she hears.
- Brie wins the award, of course, and Froggy wins a special award for graphic design.
- After school, as she rides the crosstown bus home alone, Virginia decides she'll take her own money—she has $1000 in savings—and buy her own plane ticket to Seattle.
- Go, Virginia, go—you buy that ticket, girl.
- She does. She heads to a travel agent and hands over $500.
- Just like that, she's going to visit Shannon whether her parents like it or not.