The Forest of Hands and Teeth Chapter 11
Advertisement - Guide continues below
- Two days pass, and still no Travis. Mary heads to the hill to find him, but nada.
- Mary wishes she could tell Jed about Gabby's history, but she's afraid the Sisters will toss her into zombieland if she blabs.
- Gabby's been dubbed the Fast One, and her presence puts a damper on the Edenmass extravaganza.
- The Sisters try to calm the panic by telling everyone that Fast Ones have always existed, and that though no one knows what makes them super-zombies, they burn out quickly. Edenmass still turns into the downer party of the year, though.
- Mary can't get over the fact that the Sisters know stuff the rest of the villagers don't know, and wonders if she could have done something to save Gabrielle.
- Then she starts sneaking around—without the Travster, she doesn't really care if she gets caught. It's all about figuring out what started the whole Unconsecrated mess in the first place.
- On the night before the Binding ceremony—when couples' hands are bound together for a night, giving them a chance to either wait it out or cut the rope to stop the wedding—Mary feels frustrated and hopeless, and decides to creep out one last time. Her destination? A moldy basement tunnel on the way to the death clearing.
- When she finally figures out how to open the tunnel door, she's pretty freaked out. Our girl Mary isn't a wuss, though, so she lights some candles, takes a deep breath, and gets going.
- She finds a door and when it opens, the air puts out her candle.
- Mary has a panic attack, starts tripping and almost screaming, running and flailing down the hall the wrong way, all while knocking old wine bottles all over the place.
- She climbs up the stairs beneath the death clearing and curls herself into a fetal position.
- She finds a big ol' shard of glass in her foot. Ouch.
- She's sick of everything and realizes that dreams are stupid and don't come true, which makes her feel like a blob of drippy Jell-O.
- She figures it's either die in the death clearing, let Sister Tabitha find her (also not good), or finish the job. She chooses the latter choice.
- She grabs a candle and steps back into the doorway she opened before her panic attack.
The Forest of Hands and Teeth Chapter 11 Study Group
Ask questions, get answers, and discuss with others.
Tired of ads?
Join today and never see them again.