The Fountainhead Part 1, Chapter 1
Advertisement - Guide continues below
Part 1, Chapter 1
- Part 1 is all about Peter Keating.
- We meet Howard Roark when he is naked.
- Uhhh, is this awkward?
- Nope. Turns out he's just going skinny-dipping and thinking deep thoughts.
- The exposition fairy (aka the narrator) catches us up on The Facts. Roark is a poor man who is currently studying architecture at the Stanton Institute.
- He's supposed to meet with the Dean about some trouble he's in.
- Roark goes home to Mrs. Keating's boarding house, where he resides.
- He goes upstairs and draws a while.
- Roark forgets about his meeting with the Dean.
- Mrs. Keating is horrified that he just forgot and reminds him.
- Roark finally goes to the meeting and has a showdown with the Dean.
- Our man R has a bad habit of making people hate him, and is about to be expelled.
- Roark doesn't care, though, since he's a rebel and thinks the school is outdated.
- He proceeds to annoy the Dean some more before leaving, for old time's sake.