The Fountainhead Part 3, Chapter 2
Advertisement - Guide continues below
Part 3, Chapter 2
- Dominique and Keating have an evening at home, arguing incessantly.
- They both start talking about how neither of them seem to have a soul.
- Aww, such cute marital banter.
- Dominique also gets in a parting shot and tells Keating he has no opinions of his own.
- They talk some more and Keating finally gets Dominique to confess to her fling with Roark.
- Toohey then drops by unexpectedly and interrupts their conversation.
- Toohey has news: Wynand wants to meet with both of the Keatings since he's interested in using Keating for his new building project.
- Keating leaves the room briefly, and Dominique and Toohey try to one-up each other, as usual. Dominique kicks off this exchange:
- "You got Peter Keating where you wanted him—the leading architect of the country who's now mud clinging to your galoshes."
- "I've never liked your style of expression, but it's always been accurate. I should have said: who's now a soul wagging its tail. Your style is gentler." (3.2.251-2)