The Future of Us Summary
Emma and Josh are teenagers in 1996. They are neighbors and used to be best friends—until Josh admitted that he liked Emma and things got awkward. Together, they discover a CD-ROM that let's them access their Facebook accounts.
But wait… it's 1996. Facebook hasn't been invented yet.
Emma's future life looks pretty average. She has a normal husband (whom she hasn't met yet) and is unemployed. Josh, on the other hand hits the jackpot; he ends up married to Sydney Mills. And for those of you who don't go to Lake Forest High, Sydney Mills is the hottest girl in school.
Emma and Josh quickly realize that their day-to-day actions change what happens on their future Facebook accounts. For example, a simple experience changes Emma's status about her favorite food from macaroni and cheese to lasagna. (14.39). Huh? And these simple changes escalate quickly into rapidly changing careers, kids, and partners—especially for Emma, who keeps trying to get a future she likes better.
Josh immediately starts hunting down Sydney—he can't wait to start his future—but Emma keeps doing things to meddle with what's to come and, in doing so, only makes her future worse. You can imagine what comes next: Emma gets jealous of Josh, and Josh gets angry with Emma for playing with fate. After all, anything that she does could do something to mess with his life with Sydney.
Emma and Josh's fight gets so bad that they aren't even Facebook friends in the future. Yikes. Josh's future with Sydney is looking like a reality, but they're missing the chemistry that he had hoped for. And Emma jumps from guy to guy, both in the present and the future, and each time she ends up more miserable than before.
So they do a bit of soul-searching. Finally, (as we breathe a sigh of relief) they realize that there's something missing. Something obvious. Josh still has feelings for Emma, even though Sydney is the greatest thing ever. And Emma realizes that maybe she feels like Josh should be more than a friend after all.
With some coaxing from their friends Tyson and Kellan, Emma and Josh come to their senses and admit to liking each other. At the same time, Future Emma decides to delete her Facebook account. This leaves Emma and Josh in the 90s free to make their own decisions and truly leave their future up to fate.
Ten bucks they end up married in fifteen years.
Part 1: Sunday / Chapter 1
- Emma is an average teenager. When we meet her, she's sitting in her room to avoid breaking up with her boyfriend.
- She's setting up a new computer that her dad gave her. It's a gift because he moved away with his new wife, and it has a—gasp—color monitor. This is fancy for 1996.
- Josh, a.k.a. the boy next door, rings the doorbell. He and Emma used to be best friends, but things have gotten "weird" lately.
- Emma awkwardly greets Josh at the door. He hands her a CD-ROM that his mom is giving her; apparently it downloads a free trial of AOL Internet.
- Emma returns to her room and starts downloading the CD, which will take almost two hours to download. Because guess what? In 1996 the Internet was slow.
- She looks out the window and thinks about the summer weather, which is just starting; the fact that it's springtime could explain her restlessness.
- Her thoughts turn back to her clingy boyfriend whom she needs to dump.
- She thinks of avoiding the world, but decides to go jogging instead.
- She runs into Josh again as she starts her run, pumping her favorite 90s tunes on her Discman (the ancestor of the iPod).
- Dave Matthews makes her think of Cody, a dreamy guy from her school whom she says she would "reconsider" (1.39) the idea of true love for.
- When she gets home, her CD is still downloading.
- Emma starts studying biology, her best subject. She starts thinking about enrolling in a college bio course during her senior year next fall.
- The download is now complete and she has to think of a password. Finally she choses "Millicent," which is an inside joke between her and Josh.
- She's about to start typing an email when the screen freezes, and a blue and white sign pops up: Facebook.
- But wait, this is years before Facebook has been invented… right? Yes, that's correct.
- Emma scrolls through the notifications and is super confused about what they mean.
- Now the weird part: She finds a picture of a thirty-year-old woman names Emma Nelson Jones, and she looks weirdly familiar. By the picture, it says that she went to the same high school as Emma and has the same birthday… It also says she married a guy named Jordan Jones Jr.
- While Emma's in the middle of trying to figure this all out, Josh skates by outside. She calls for him to come inside and look.
- Josh follows Emma to her room. He hasn't been over in six months—not since he misread their friendship and thought she wanted something more.
- She asks him to "humor him" (2.9) and look at the computer screen.
- He's not really sure why, but he feels really uncomfortable about all this. While he looks at the screen she wanders over to the window.
- He sees the picture and thinks the pic looks like an older version of Emma; no biggie.
- He thinks the website is disorganized looking, though, and Jordan Jones Jr. sounds like a fake name.
- Both Emma and Josh assume that the other person has made the website for a class at school.
- When they both deny it, though, Josh starts freaking out on the inside. He's torn between thinking this is some kind of prank and thinking it's a website from the future. Or maybe he's just crazy.
- Emma also doesn't understand why it would be a joke.
- "Maybe you've become famous in the future?" (2.42) Josh suggests. Emma makes a snide comment about going to the track Olympics with her crush Cody, and Josh is irritated by her remark.
- Now another big shocker: There's a link to Emma's future husband. She looks at the picture of a guy standing on a boat holding a fish and thinks he's hot—definitely a plus.
- Emma's mom knocks at the door and tells them to get off the Internet because Emma's stepfather needs to use it. (Fun fact: Back in the day, only one person could use the Internet at a time because it was accessed using your home phone line.)
- Emma walks Josh to the door and he tells her to keep him updated.
- The saga continues as Emma wonders about her future self during dinner.
- When her mom and stepdad start getting touchy with each other, Emma runs up to her room so she can finish eating and contemplate the situation more in peace.
- She thinks maybe it's a coincidence. Maybe there is another, older woman named Emma, who happens to have a lot in common with her.
- She tries to call Josh but he doesn't pick up.
- After a few minutes she tries the website again. And guess what? Facebook is still there, but all the information on the home page has changed. She clicks onto this Emma's page and scrolls through the information. It all matches her, including Tuck Everlasting being one of her favorite books. Chills.
- Emma notices another status update under her name. It says that Thursday, May 19 is going to go down in history. But today is Sunday, May 19. Why is it going to go down in history? And why is this other May 19 a Thursday?
- Josh is sitting at his dinner table thinking about this whole deal. He tried to call Emma before dinner, but her phone line was busy.
- He doesn't get why someone would make a prank like this.
- His parents make small talk with him and comment on how he and Emma used to be so close.
- Josh says his stomach hurts so he can leave the table, then he calls Emma again and she picks up sounding super stressed out, like she's been crying.
- She asks him to come over because she's pretty sure the website is real. And it doesn't look good.
- Emma is afraid to talk to Josh because she'll start crying again—she notices that he looks uncomfortable and once again thinks about how different their friendship is now.
- She tells him about how the website looks different except for the fact that it still says Facebook at the top of the page.
- Two red flags: (1) Older Emma is wearing the same necklace that Emma has, and (2) she's writing from a year where May 19th is a different day of the week.
- Because the pictures and everything keep changing, it must be from… the future.
- Here's the bad news: Emma is posting things about being unhappy because her future husband still isn't home days after his business trip, and she's also posting about being unemployed and needing a therapist. Ouch.
- Emma's logic is that nobody posts personal stuff like this about themselves for everyone to see, so her future self must be mentally ill.
- Emma's mom walks in just in time for Emma to block the screen. Time to get offline.
- Josh turns to leave, but first he makes Emma promise to not look on the website alone anymore. They make a deal to only look at it together so she won't get upset.
- There's something else on there, though, that Emma hasn't showed him—she tells him to come back tomorrow.
Part 2: Monday / Chapter 6
- Josh is getting ready for school and hears Emma start and stop her car.
- He can hear Emma run into her house, and since their room windows are opposite each other, he sees her grab her saxophone from the closet; when they were younger they used to write each other notes from the windows.
- They meet outside and Josh asks for a ride.
- Emma is in a bit of a mood, and Josh wonders if it's about Graham, her boyfriend.
- Josh tells her that he doesn't understand: If the website's a joke, why would people would make up a bad future for her?
- They both discuss how it could even be possible to see something from the future. The Internet is a new wonder, so maybe it's just so advanced it can do something like that.
- Josh still thinks it's a prank, though, which makes Emma upset because she says that if he saw his future look horrible, he'd care more about it.
- And now she fesses up: She saw something about his future on Facebook, too.
- Emma explains that Josh has his own Facebook page. His future self has short hair and glasses (which Josh protests, because his eyesight is fine), and still lives in their hometown. Josh feels fine about this; Emma's the one who wants to move away.
- Josh keeps referring to the makers of the website as "they." Emma corrects him and says that if it's true, technically Emma and Josh are the ones writing their own information.
- They're now in the hallway at school and the bell rings. Before they go to class, though, Josh asks if the website said anything about his wife.
- Begrudgingly, Emma tells Josh that he's married to a girl named Sydney Mills.
- Josh imagines Sydney Mills up against him and leaning in for a kiss. He can't believe it. Not only is she a year ahead of him, but she is one of the hottest girls in school—and as of right now, she probably doesn't know he exists.
- Poor Emma. Josh totally has the better end of the deal here.
- Emma teases him and ruffles his hair, and Josh walks away quickly. He doesn't feel comfortable with this sort of interaction with her, especially about what happened between them.
- Emma continues to tease him about his future wife, who he apparently vacations with in Hawaii. Then she runs off to class.
- Emma is really distracted in band class, but she's pulled out of her daze by her boyfriend, Graham, who has shaved off all his blonde hair. He teases her about it, but she just kind of stares at him.
- At lunch, Emma talks to her best friend, Kellan, about how she needs to break up with Graham.
- The two friends lament about all the stupid things that boys do, like shaving their heads, and then Emma asks Kellan for her opinion about time travel.
- Kellan says that she thinks that the idea is possible in theory, though she personally wouldn't want to be involved in it.
- Then Kellan changes the subject and starts talking about the hot guys in her college science class. Kellan's goal is for Emma to fall in love before graduation.
- Emma doesn't believe in love, though, so she challenges Kellan's fantasy with the topic of her ex-boyfriend, Tyson. Kellan stubbornly insists that the relationship was "worth it" because she loved him.
- Josh is distracted by the thought of his future wife during lunch. He compares their current distance to Mercury and Pluto in the galaxy—she's a hot goddess, while he's barely included in the solar system.
- He runs into Tyson, his buddy and Kellan's ex-boyfriend, and Tyson starts complaining about Kellan.
- When Emma and Kellan come over to chat, Emma does something very uncool: She tells everyone that Josh has a crush on Sydney Mills.
- The girls are bitter about the idea of Sydney, but Tyson is all for it.
- The moment arrives: Peer Issues class with Sydney Mills. Josh waits nervously for her to walk in and can barely handle it when she walks through the door.
- Later, Tyson and Josh hang out, and Tyson brings up Sydney again. Josh deflects the conversation, though.
- The dreamy Cody leads Emma's track team to victory at their meet. Emma, on the other hand, feels slower than usual.
- Afterward, she sits on the lawn and admires Cody while he flirts with another girl, wondering if they have a thing going on.
- She muses over the idea of sex, thinking about how she hasn't had it, though she's not waiting for love (because she doesn't believe in it).
- Graham shows up and starts flirting with her; she's initially snippy with him, but after giving Cody one last look, she and Graham head to the baseball field.
- Since no one else is there, they start making out. To Emma's horror, Josh walks onto the field. As soon as he catches a glimpse of them, he runs in the opposite direction.
- Josh is mad about what he saw and blames Tyson: If Tyson hadn't been teasing him about Sydney he wouldn't have rushed to find Emma so that they could check Facebook.
- When he first saw Emma and Graham, he thought that maybe they were trying to break up. Obviously he was wrong.
- As they leave school, Tyson is still teasing Josh about Sydney.
- Emma is blasting Dave Matthews on the drive home from school; she's frustrated that Josh saw her and Graham. When she saw Josh, she immediately pushed Graham away and ran after her friends, but they had already left.
- When Emma gets home she realizes that she wants to go online. But she doesn't feel comfortable trying to get a hold of Josh.
- She notices that her mom left her email information next to the computer, so she signs in to double check that she doesn't also have a Facebook.
- Emma has dinner with her mom and stepdad and then goes back up to her room.
- As she's lying on her bed she thinks about the night that everything went wrong with Josh.
- It was the opening night of Toy Story, and she sat next to Josh and buried her face in his shoulder during the scary scenes. (Not sure what she tried to classify as scary in that movie…)
- After the movie, they went to visit Tyson's mom's grave. She and Josh walked off to search for the tombs of an old couple named Clarence and Millicent, who died on the same date—they found the tombs before together, and were both taken with the idea that they died together.
- Anyway, Josh takes this moment alone to try to kiss her. She freaks out and says that she just sees him as a friend—but when she says this, she realizes right away that she's ruined their friendship.
- While Emma's thinking about this night, she falls asleep, and doesn't wake up until her mom comes to tell her that Josh is at the door.
- Josh bites the bullet before walking into Emma's room. Emma looks extremely uncomfortable and they exchange a quick "sorry" and "let's move on," spiced with a bit of attitude on Josh's part.
- They admit that time travel (if this is time travel) is disappointing—it's not exciting like the movies, but about boring everyday stuff.
- They get online and find that only a couple of things have changed on Facebook. For example, a comment that Emma made about mac and cheese being her favorite food has been replaced with lasagna being her favorite. Emma was really stressed while eating mac and cheese last night, which must have made her not like it so much; she remembers what Kellan told her about "ripples of change" (14.46) moving from the present to the future.
- Unfortunately, she's still married to Jordan Jones Jr.
- Now for Josh's future life: His vacation has been moved from Waikiki to Acapulco, which is strange, though at least he's still married to Sydney Templeton.
- Emma finds another status about Jordan Jones Jr.; this time she's complaining that he spends all of her money.
- The best find of the night, though, is their discovery of photo albums, specifically one called High School Memories.
- In this album, they find pictures of a lake trip they that they just took in 1996… which they haven't even developed yet.
- Emma realizes that if these pictures can be developed, it will prove to Josh that Facebook is a real thing.
- Josh and Emma race to Photomat to take the film in before it closes, then they sit out in the dark parking lot to wait and reminisce about old times.
- Emma mentions Cody again, who loves the photo shop. She thinks about a school dance she wishes she had gone to with Cody instead of Graham.
- After a few minutes, Josh apologizes for his reaction to when he saw her and Graham together.
- Finally, the pictures are ready—and they are the same ones that they saw on Facebook.
- One thought is racing through Josh's mind: He's actually going to marry Sydney Mills.
- He admires his scrawny reflection after taking a shower and marvels at how he's going to morph into such a successful person.
- It's late, but he decides to call his older brother, David, who is in college.
- Josh tries to explain the situation with Sydney… without actually telling David anything about Facebook. It's not hugely successful, considering how much of the story he has to improvise. David's advice to his brother is to not ruin things with Sydney like he did with Emma.
Part 3: Tuesday / Chapter 17
- Emma gets to school early so she can say hi to her friends in the newspaper office. Then, ready to take on the world, she takes time to do her hair and makeup for class.
- When she got to school, she put a note in Graham's locker saying she'd see him later—this way she can avoid having to run into him.
- While chatting with her friends, she mentions to Kellan that she wants to sign up for that college science class with her—you know, the one Kellan was trying to convince her to take.
- Kellan makes a comment about them going to med school together, which makes Emma realize that she can look up Kellan's Facebook and see if that actually happens.
- Josh and Tyson are in the locker room changing for gym class. Kyle's pager goes off and Josh complains that his parents won't let him get one.
- Note: Kyle happens to be one of Emma's ex-boyfriends. Also, he is always wandering around the gym naked. Also also, it is the 90s so pagers are totally a thing.
- The bell rings, so Josh and Tyson stop chatting and run to class. During class, Josh amuses himself by making a list of people that he wants to search for on Facebook.
- Emma and Kellan are hanging out in the library. Emma is stressing out about her future, but then she realizes something: The future changes a lot depending on what she does in the present. So if she's stressed out now, it could make her stressed out in the future. Confusing, right?
- Emma asks Kellan if she ever thinks about her future husband. Naturally, Kellan has a theory about this—it's called The Husband Theory (19.7)—and it goes like this: If you're driving in your car and about to get in a major accident, whomever you think of first is your meant-to-be.
- Emma is depressed thinking about Jordan Jones Jr., even though she doesn't know anything about him. Then an idea hits her: He's what's wrong with her future, so she needs to try and get rid of him.
- She goes to the librarian and asks for the out-of-state phonebooks. The librarian directs her to the public library.
- Josh braves dangerous territory and catches up to Sydney Mills in the hallway. He's distracted by her coconut scent; it reminds him of their future vacation to Waikiki. He also fantasizes about the first words that he'll say to her and how she'll remember them for the rest of her life.
- Naturally, his first words to her are an epic fail. How embarrassing.
- Josh and Sydney walk into the auditorium together for Peer Issues. Today, they have to do an exercise to explore different perspectives the students have on relationships. Perfect, right?
- The stage is divided into four corners depending on how the students decide to ask somebody out. Josh walks over to the ask a friend for help corner.
- Of all the options, the too busy to date corner is empty.
- They split into new groups for a new topic: Should the boy slow down on physical stuff in a relationship if the girl hasn't blatantly told him no? Most people move to the yes boxes.
- The only people in the no box are girls. This sparks a conversation about female sexism.
- Sydney voices her opinion: Guys need to respect girls no matter what. The rest of the group starts smirking at her, though, since she has a reputation for being a bit easy.
- In a moment of gallant heroism, Josh defends her—and when the class continues, Josh looks over at Sydney, who is looking right at him.
- Emma sneaks off to the public library after the last bell rings, but Josh catches up to her in the parking lot and asks if she's okay. Emma feels badly for not telling Josh what she's about to do, but she knows that she has to get rid of this guy who's ruining her future.
- They agree to check the website again after dinner.
- Emma runs in to Dylan Portman (another ex-boyfriend) in front of the library, and she resists the urge to flirt with him, even though he's still really cute.
- Once inside, Emma gets hold of the California phone book for the county that Jordan lives in. Although there isn't a Jordan Jones listed, she photocopies the page with the J. Joneses on it.
- Josh is hanging out with his skater friends at the half-pipe. After chatting with Chris McKellan, who owns the half-pipe (and is also extremely high), Josh and Tyson head out. Tyson says he has to go meet up with Kellan, who wants to talk—because seriously, the drama never ends with those two.
- As they pass the cemetery, Tyson asks Josh if they can stop quickly at his mom's grave.
- They enter, and Josh thinks about how this is where everything went wrong with Emma.
- Josh gets to thinking about how things have changed since that night six months ago… which triggers his memory of Emma heading suspiciously to the library after school.
- Oh no… If she's trying to change her future, she just might end up changing Josh's as well. Which isn't fair, because Josh loves his future.
- Josh quickly says goodbye to Tyson and runs to meet her at the library.
- Emma rushes out of the library with the photocopied pages under her arm; she's so distracted that she doesn't realize Dylan's been calling her name. He catches up to her outside and asks for a ride. Since Emma has to run to the store to get a phone card for out-of-state, she agrees to drop him at 7-Eleven.
- In conversation, Dylan mentions that he's gotten books from the library by his girlfriend's favorite author. Emma is miffed because when she was dating Dylan, she read the same author and he didn't care. Ugh.
- She drops Dylan off and gets her phone card. On the ride home, "Wonderwall" is playing on the radio. She turns it off, pondering the lyrics and how she is getting rid of one of the "winding roads" (23.23) in her life.
- Josh arrives at the library in a sweat and asks the reference desk if they've seen Emma. After describing her, the guy tells him that she there, looking for California phone books and making photocopies.
- Josh digs through the trashcan and finds a sheet of photocopied paper that he pulls out. It's a list of Joneses from a phone book.
- Josh's terrible assumption was right, so he leaves the library and rushes home.
- Emma locks herself in her room and starts calling every J. Jones on the sheet, crossing names out as she goes.
- Finally she gets the right one. The lady on the phone is Jordan's aunt, and gives Emma the number that she can use to reach him. When Emma explains that she's a friend from school, the woman replies, "Jordan certainly has plenty of those" (25.15). Well then.
- Emma calls the number and finally talks to Jordan himself. Contrary to her negative feelings about this guy, his voice sounds pleasant over the phone. She pretends to have met him at a party and luckily, he buys it.
- Emma manages to make small talk and find out what college he goes to: Tampa State. Now she can cross it off of her own college options and rule out the possibility of ever running into him.
- When she hangs up, Emma feels a little bit sad. After all, she just dumped the guy she was going to spend her life with.
- Just as she's crossing Tampa State off of her college list, Josh knocks at the door.
- He tells her that she can't "unmarry" Jordan and change stuff about the future, and he promises to lend support for her through her awful future life.
- Josh is majorly motivated by his desire to not give up Sydney Mills.
- Emma tells Josh that it's too late, though—she's already gotten rid of Jordan. Josh turns pale.
- Josh is mad about Emma taking the future into her own hands. In his mind, she ruined fifteen years of history just because she didn't think she'd like the guy she was going to marry. How could she do this?
- Josh tells Emma that he wouldn't have change anything if their situations were reversed.
- It's dangerous to mess with the future, and Josh tries to get Emma to see all the small effects that can be made by changing big things.
- Emma tells Josh that he's being mean, saying that because his life ends up great, he doesn't care about what happens to her.
- Before they get back on Facebook, Josh says that they need to set down rules about being too particular. If her new future life looks fine, she needs to leave it alone.
- Sure enough, Jordan Jones Jr. is gone, and a guy named Kevin Storm has replaced him. In addition, Emma now has a baby and she's a marine biologist, which is her dream job.
- Josh is still married to Sydney—phew, what a relief—but they find a picture of her with a big pregnant belly, which was definitely not in their future yesterday.
- Josh and Sydney went from having three kids already to expecting their first. Josh sadly thinks about how he'll never know those three kids because they won't ever exist.
- Emma reminds him of what they learned in health class—any small change in environment or routine will effect sperm, and therefore the kids, or number of kids, that you have.
- While she's giving him this science recap she starts slowly massaging his back. Weird. And Josh is extremely turned on but uncomfortable. But Emma just keeps explaining science until he tells her to change the subject.
- Just then, Emma gets an instant message. She jumps up to her computer to check it out—and then scolds Josh for being a hypocrite. Now she knows that he's also been messing with the future… because Sydney Mills just asked Emma for his number.
- Emma gives Sydney Josh's number. She looks at the screen again and rolls her eyes at the picture of pregnant Sydney and the status: "My baby's having my first baby any day now" (27.6).
- Josh, meanwhile, is pestering Emma about what Sydney said. Emma calls him out and says that he must have been trying to get her attention at school.
- Josh tells Emma about what happened during Peer Issues class.
- He doesn't think it's a big deal, but they now realize that even that will change Josh's future in some way.
- Josh changes the subject by telling Emma about the list he made—he says that he's curious about what their other friends are like on Facebook.
- They are about to start looking people up but then they stop: The fact that Sydney just got Josh's number could mean that things have changed again.
- So they decide to wait before looking again, and Josh goes home to see if Sydney has called him yet.
- Josh can't believe it: Sydney Mills asked for his number. His mind jumps quickly to their future house and kids.
- He sits by his phone and waits. Nothing. After a few minutes he grabs the cordless phone and goes across the street to the park.
- Josh thinks about a girl that he once dated long-distance, whom he used to call on the cordless phone. It didn't work out between them.
- Josh sees Emma come outside to go for a jog and he hides so she can't interrupt his possible phone call.
- He thinks about how everything has already changed just because he knows his future. Case in point: If he hadn't found out he was going to marry Sydney, he would never have talked to her in the first place.
- Emma comes back from her run and finds her mom and Martin at home.
- She thinks about the two of them. It's not like she doesn't like her stepdad—he doesn't fight with her mom like other guys did—but she's still not really used to him.
- On her way to her room, she sees a picture of her baby self, and it reminds her of her own future baby that she saw on Facebook.
- She knows that her future kids probably will change several times, but she can't help fantasizing about her and Kevin Storm's little daughter. In her head, she names her Olivia.
- Before she falls asleep, she decides that it's time to break up with Graham. For real this time.
Part 4: Wednesday / Chapter 30
- During breakfast, Emma is preoccupied and wishes that Josh could come over quickly so they could check Facebook.
- Her mom asks Emma if she's thanked her dad for her new computer. She hasn't gotten around to it, but is too distracted to think about doing it this morning.
- After she leaves the house, she knocks on Josh's door; when there's no answer, she lets herself in.
- On her way up the stairs she passes walls lined with baby pictures of Josh and his brother, David.
- As she knocks on Josh's bedroom door she hears music blasting from the inside, so she opens the door… and to her extreme embarrassment, finds Josh doing sit-ups in his underwear. Awkward.
- Josh turns red and jumps up to find his pants. As he does, Emma looks around his room, which looks pretty much the same as when they were little. Except for his weights.
- Emma asks him to come over so they can go back online and look at Kevin Storm and her baby. Josh says that she can go ahead and look by herself, as long as she doesn't change anything.
- Emma goes back home to look, but unfortunately Kevin doesn't have his own profile.
- Also, instead of a baby girl, she has two boys—just like that, Olivia's gone.
- But there's something more disturbing than having two boys: She finds a link to Kellan's Facebook and finds a post about having a fourteen-year-old daughter. Fifteen years in the future.
- And not only is Kellan a mother of a teenager, she's a single mom, too. And doing the math… this means that she's going to be pregnant soon.
- Josh comes over to join her, but all Emma can think about is poor Kellan. She has to do something to help her friend—unless, of course, it's already too late.
- Josh opens Emma's bedroom window so he can hear his phone ring.
- He's still married to Sydney on Facebook. They click into a photo album full of pictures of their fancy new house on Crown Lake and Josh lounging in a hammock with twins. Weird: Last time they checked, Josh had a pair of different twins.
- Emma leaves for a moment and Josh finds a picture of his brother. When he clicks on it he finds out that David, or "Dave," as he goes by in the future, lives in Washington… and is in a relationship with a guy. Wait, what?
- Emma comes back and Josh quickly exits the window. He doesn't want to share the info about his brother.
- Emma starts teasing Josh about his white underwear—little does she know, but Josh actually decided to switch to boxers after Emma saw him in his tighty-whities.
- And he's still waiting on that phone call from Sydney. Being a girl herself, Emma advises him that she's probably just playing hard to get.
- Together, they decide that it might not be such a good idea to look other people up on Facebook. Especially after what Josh just saw.
- Speaking of other people, Emma and Josh start teasing each other about exes.
- Emma tells Josh that they're different: He looks for somebody to make him happy forever, which means his heart gets broken easily, but Emma, who doesn't believe in true love at all, has an easier time of it.
- Just then, Josh's phone rings and he runs home to answer it.
- Emma and Josh are driving to school together and they're both distracted. Josh is thinking about Sydney, while Emma's trying to imagine what Kevin Storm does for a living.
- Then she thinks about Kellan and gets really nervous. How can she step in and stop Kellan from getting pregnant?
- Emma runs into Graham at band practice. He starts flirting and asking her about her weekend plans, and this is when she realizes that the time has come.
- Luckily, Graham takes the breakup news really well. He gives her a sad hug and Emma realizes that just like all her other breakups, this isn't dramatic.
- After band she rushes to find Josh; he can help her decide what to do about Kellan. But she can't get his attention in the hallway because he's talking to a girl.
- And Cody Grainger is walking toward her. Swoon.
- Josh is in a great mood. He didn't actually talk to Sydney because she was hanging up the phone as he was picking up. But still.
- Life at school has become magical, and guys and girls are stopping him right and left in the hallway to talk to him.
- He doesn't even really mind when he sees Cody talking to Emma.
- Cody smiles his dreamboat smile. He starts chatting with Emma and says he saw her running in the park yesterday and thought she looked great.
- As they talk, Emma is thanking her lucky stars that she broke up with Graham when she did.
- Cody drops an invitation for her to come over and listen to a taped Dave Matthews concert sometime. Obviously Emma accepts.
- Josh joins Kellan and Tyson for lunch, where he notices that Tyson's in a great mood and hopes that he and Kellan haven't gotten back together.
- The juicy news today is that Emma finally dumped Graham—Josh really hopes this isn't another one of her efforts to thwart the future.
- They joke that Graham shaving his head with the other guys was a "gay pact," and this comment makes Josh choke on his food. Do they know about his brother?
- Of course they don't know about David, but Josh is still a bit defensive about the topic.
- Emma shows up mid-conversation, and jokingly, Kellan tells her that she can talk to Josh about future relationship advice, since he's become so popular with girls all over school.
- Things quickly become tense between Emma and Josh.
- During class, Josh is handed a blue sheet of paper and asked to go to the front desk. He doesn't know why.
- He gets another piece of paper during class. This one is from Sydney… and it has her cell number written on it.
- Emma runs into Kellan in the hallway, who is singing at the top of her lungs to congratulate her on breaking up with Graham. Emma immediately checks for a baby bump.
- Emma tells Kellan about her run-in with Cody and, like the good friend she is, Kellan asks for details. Emma holds back, though, since she figures that Kellan is also hiding information from her.
- Kellan mentions that she has a doctor's appointment, which alerts Emma, though Kellan says that it's just a "check-up."
- On their way down the hallway, they run into the newly popular Josh. He's drawing something in his notebook as a girl watches over his shoulder.
- The girls go back to Emma's house, where they pick outfits for a trip to the lake. Kellan notices Emma's new computer and Emma stops her from using it.
- When this happens, Emma thinks about whether their future selves know that they can read about their future right now. Maybe future Kellan is sending a message to 1996 Kellan by writing stuff about a baby.
- Emma decides, though, that it's best is Facebook is kept between her and Josh.
- Josh goes to his Dad's office, where his parents are both waiting to question why he was late for school. His parents are suspicious of the time he and Emma spend together, though Josh thinks this is crazy.
- Later on, he sits on a park bench eating ice cream and brooding over how his parents are always way too attentive to him.
- He looks across the street and sees Sydney's card parked in the lot. Sydney gets out of her car and walks across the lot into a comic store.
- He gets nervous and thinks about calling her but doesn't want to tempt fate.
- Or at least that's his excuse.
- Emma and Kellan are getting ice cream, and Emma starts prying to see if she can figure out what's going on between Kellan and Tyson.
- Kellan admits why she went to the doctor: It was a therapy session to check up on her emotional state.
- Emma strategically turns the conversation toward the fact that the school nurse provides free condoms.
- Kellan is reluctant to talk about this subject, but Emma relates an anecdote about Josh keeping an old condom in his wallet "just in case," which they both find funny. She uses it to tell Kellan that it's always good to have one on hand—you know, just in case.
- Later on, Emma and Kellan are at the lake, and while they're there, Emma sees Josh's future house.
- The girls start talking about Josh and Sydney.
- Kellan calls Emma out about her and Josh acting differently around each other lately.
- Although Emma won't admit anything, Kellan points out that if there are any romantic feelings that she has, she might want to make a move on Josh before it's too late.
- Josh goes for a skate around the block and ends up back where he started, looking at Sydney's parked car.
- Unable to decide whether to talk to Sydney not, he skates around the lot and drinks root beers until he's riding a major sugar high.
- Sydney's car finally pulls out of the lot. Josh grabs a pay phone and dials her cell, and when she picks up, he says that he "thinks" he just saw her drive down the street.
- She pulls over to where he is and offers him a ride home; Josh conceals his excitement as he climbs into her convertible.
- Apparently Sydney was buying an Archie book for her dad at the comic shop. Cute.
- As they chat, Sydney thanks Josh for coming to her defense in Peer Issues, and then she starts talking about her dad's business, and how she'll get to travel to cool places. Like Acapulco.
- Josh's fantasies run wild.
- After the lake, Emma drops Kellan off and goes home to find Josh. Or not—Sydney's car is parked in the driveway and Josh is in the front seat.
- Emma runs into her house, slamming the door behind her.
- In her room, Emma turns on the computer because she figures that Josh will come over as soon as Sydney leaves.
- After a while, though, she's still waiting for Josh, so she logs into Facebook herself.
- She sees that Lindsay, Kellan's daughter, still exists.
- Josh is outside after saying goodbye to Sydney. He noticed that Emma ignored Sydney and him—she's been so moody lately.
- Sure enough, Emma comes marching out of her house with her arms crossed and demands to know why he didn't come right over.
- Honestly? Josh didn't know she was waiting. You know, because he's not psychic. But anyway.
- Emma points out that after their busy day at school (she dumped Graham and he hung out with Sydney) they should check and see if anything in their future has changed.
- For the record, Josh doesn't think his future has changed.
- Once they're in her room, Emma starts guilt-tripping him: Every time she tried to talk to him at school he was busy doing other stuff. With girls.
- Emma scrolls through her friends list looking for Cody, so Josh gets up to use the bathroom.
- In the hall, Josh sees old pictures of them, including one from a middle school dance, where he first decided that he had a crush on Emma.
- When he returns, Emma's come up with a new theory: If big things affect the future in lots of tiny ripples, what happens when you make a tiny ripple in time?
- Josh cautions her against it—he doesn't want to mess with anything more than they have to—but Emma ignores him and proceeds to dump a vase of water onto her white carpet. She knows that her stepdad won't be happy about it and there's sure to be a consequence.
- Emma refreshes the Facebook page to see if anything's different. Her Facebook status is different, but to the same effect: She's going out to dinner with her husband, but it doesn't sound like the best night ever.
- Emma and Josh start bickering about their futures again. Emma's being reckless because she doesn't like her future, Josh wants to leave their futures alone—same old argument.
- Emma challenges Josh about his feelings for Sydney and says he doesn't have anything going for him.
- Meanwhile, on Facebook, Emma's current location has changed to Ohio, which means that she's not working on the coast at her dream job. It's probably Kevin's fault.
- Emma vows to never live in Ohio and refreshes the page again. Now she lives in London.
- Josh is getting uneasy and tells Emma to stop messing around.
- Emma looks up and they become locked in a staring contest. Which slowly turns into a kiss, as Emma asks, "How do you think this will affect our future?" (41.82).
- Neither of them resists.
- Josh steps back and Emma realizes that she's made a mistake; she feels weak and sits down. Why did she do that?
- When Josh left for the bathroom, Emma rummaged through his backpack. She doesn't know why she did that either, but she found an unopened back of boxers. Does this have to do with Sydney?
- Josh is angry. First Emma rejects him and now she thinks its okay to kiss him and then forget about it. Ugh. He calls her out on dumping Graham, flirting with Cody, and kissing him all in one day.
- Emma yells at Josh to take it back, and he storms out of the room—once he's gone, Emma takes a photo of them off her wall and tears it up into the trash can.
- Emma tries to justify her actions in her mind, and fuming, she gets back on Facebook where she sees a picture of her and Kevin in London.
- She has gotten rid of her maiden name on Facebook and now has lots of posts complaining about her life, all of which implies that her husband is controlling her life.
- And she is no longer friends with Josh on Facebook.
- She's not friends with Cody either, but sees from his profile that he is still hot and still single.
- Just then her stepdad calls her from downstairs—her dad is on the phone.
- Her dad is hurt that she never thanked him for the new computer. Instead of apologizing, though, Emma's response is to make him feel guilty for leaving her and then to hang up the phone.
Part 5: Thursday / Chapter 43
- The next morning, Josh is cleaning and anticipating the day that Sydney sees his room.
- Then he goes downstairs to make peace with his parents, who seem to have calmed down after yesterday's lecture.
- Josh thinks about how their behavior is the reason that his brother moved across the country.
- When he leaves for school, he sees that Emma has left without him. Of course.
- Emma sees Josh in her rearview mirror—she will not apologize to him because she's upset by his harsh words yesterday.
- She knows that she has to apologize to her dad, though, so she calls him but nobody picks up.
- Finals are on the way, but Emma's not in the mood to study. She spends the morning miserable and avoiding Josh in the hallway.
- At lunch with Kellan, she thinks about Kellan's future. Something's definitely up with her and her Tyson; Emma can feel it.
- When she tells Kellan she wants to avoid the boys at lunch, Kellan tells her that Sydney was at the front desk getting Josh excused from class for the afternoon.
- Just what Emma needed to hear.
- At lunch, Tyson confronts Josh about hanging out with Sydney—and not telling him.
- Josh admits that nothing serious has happened with Sydney—and then he remembers that things did go down with Emma.
- While he thinks about it all, Josh realizes that the only reason Emma kissed him was to create a ripple in the future. Ouch.
- In class that afternoon, Josh thinks about why Emma didn't show up for lunch and decides that either she's too embarrassed about what happened, or she went home to check Facebook.
- Then Josh gets another sheet of paper calling him to the front desk. His only thought: The school has found out about Facebook. He packs his backpack and thinks about how much trouble he's going to be in.
- It's a false alarm, though, and Sydney is standing outside the office waiting for him. Apparently, she called in a favor and he is excused to help her run errands for Student Council. Sweet deal.
- They get into a Jeep that she's borrowing from her sister, and Josh notices a business card on the seat which Sydney explains is for one of her dad's companies.
- Josh thinks about how he's going to work for her dad someday.
- Their first stop is the trophy shop, where Sydney reveals that one of the trophies is for her. Apparently everyone in Sydney's family is really athletic. Because of course they are.
- During conversation, Sydney mentions that she has identical twin sisters and that identical twins run in her family. Ah… that explains why she and Josh have a set of twins in each version of their future.
- While he's thinking about their future twins, Sydney notices that Josh is quiet. To break the silence, Josh absentmindedly asks her if she wants kids someday. Really, Josh?
- Sydney chats on, talking about the things that her family does together. For example, they help put together a picnic for prison inmates. She complains that last year she took an ex-boyfriend and he was super immature about the whole thing.
- As they drive past the donut shop that Josh and Emma always stop at, Josh offers to buy them some, but Sydney politely declines.
- Emma is studying in the library. And by studying, we mean she is thinking about how Cody is single fifteen years into the future.
- She thinks about how hopeless it is that she can't even control her future when she knows what happens to her.
- She's lost in thought as she sees a group of students using resources for their studies. Then something clicks: Knowing the future isn't an automatic ticket—it's the resource to helping you get what you want.
- Emma gets to track practice and apologizes to the coach (apparently she's missed two practices during this whole Facebook fiasco).
- Cody jogs to catch up with her, and keeping in mind the "resource" she has, Emma mentions architecture to Cody, since she knows that's what he does in his future. It works.
- He holds out her gold necklace that she wears every day and says he found it and thought maybe it belonged to her. She hadn't noticed it being gone, though… very suspicious.
- On the way home from school, she vows to never marry Kevin Storm.
- Josh is helping Sydney unload tons of snacks from a shopping cart, which apparently are not for the Student Council, though she failed to mention this while they were at the store.
- Instead, the snacks are for her friend Rick's party on Friday night. Everyone's been talking about it all week, and Rick asked Sydney to help get stuff for this party. Rick is also one of Sydney's exes.
- Josh thinks about how when he first got in Sydney's car, he was over the moon; now things feel kind of average, though.
- They head toward Crown Lake, where Rick lives.
- Josh thinks about how weird it would be for him to show up at his ex's house. But when Rick comes outside he's friendly and Josh doesn't see him as a threat.
- After unloading the car, Rick and Sydney disappear in the house to find her wallet. This leaves Josh to think over his own ideas about what's okay in a relationship, which may or may not include spending time with an ex while you're out with a date (ahem, Sydney).
- Sydney comes out and gets back in the car. Josh notices that she looks relaxed and content, which is the opposite of how Josh feels. Things are going to have to change in this department if they're supposed to get married.
- Emma calls up her dad and leaves him a voicemail apologizing for her behavior yesterday.
- She checks Facebook, and sure enough, Kevin Storm is out of the picture. Instead she has her maiden name and a status about divorcing a guy named Isaac Rawlings.
- How is it possible that her life's gotten worse? She doesn't even know where to start to make things better at this point.
- On the brighter side, she is now friends with Cody Grainger. He lives in Arizona and is an architecture professor who travels all over the world giving lectures.
- And he's still single.
- She looks over his interests and sees that Wayne's World is one of his favorite movies. Emma hated it the first time, but resolves to watch it again, then she goes to the video store right away to rent it.
- Josh and Tyson are eating pizza and studying at GoodTimez, the pizza joint that Tyson's dad owns.
- Josh waited for Emma after school—but when he saw her come home, he couldn't bring himself to go see her. So he went to see Tyson instead.
- The guys are talking about history, and how it's confusing to figure out what causes events to happen. Isn't it, though?
- Josh has agreed to help Tyson sanitize the giant ball pit playground in the center of the dining area.
- While they work, Tyson asks him about Sydney—he says he wouldn't want to date her because of the attention, but he likes being friends with somebody who is.
- In return, Josh asks about Kellan, but this is a topic that Tyson doesn't seem willing to discuss. He says that he's not sure about getting back together with her, and that even though he likes her a lot, he doesn't want to hurt her.
- Josh compares this to his own situation: He's supposed to be falling for Sydney and things even seem to be working out well. But in the end, does he want her?
- Josh gets home late and looks in Emma's living room window, where she's asleep on the couch. He has a moment of really missing her, and wishes he were on the couch, too.
Part 6: Friday / Chapter 50
- Emma's mom wakes her up early to complain that she took out the blank tape in the television to watch Wayne's World. Every week they tape Seinfeld; Emma should have remembered that.
- Her mom continues to talk about her lack of respect, bringing up the dumped water vase, just as Emma predicted.
- Emma's angry that Martin was even in her room to notice the carpet stain—he wasn't given permission to do that. Emma and her mom start fighting.
- On Facebook, Emma's relationship status is "It's Complicated." Huh. She's still friends with Cody, but still not friends with Josh.
- She also posts that she's changing her password, the one that she's used forever, the one that was a joke between her and Josh. But if she changes her password, Emma won't be able to get into Facebook anymore…
- Worried about losing all of her old memories, Emma takes the picture she threw away in anger the day before and tapes it back together.
- As Josh walks down the hallway at school, he wishes he could go back and undo so many things. What things exactly? Kissing Emma and giving her that CD-ROM.
- Sydney catches up to him in the hallway and asks what his plans are for lunch; Josh explains that although he wants her to come, he has to clear up a rough patch with a friend.
- Sydney's cool with it and tells him that she had a nice time yesterday. She also apologizes for dragging him along to Rick's, and then she invites him to the party.
- Josh doesn't know what to do. If he goes, then he might be rushing things with Sydney and their future might change. But he realizes that he'd be an idiot not to go, so he agrees.
- Sure enough, Emma is at lunch, but she's very quiet. Tyson and Kellan are throwing fries at each other and Emma extends the white flag by giving Josh a piece of cheese.
- Tyson and Kellan start chasing each other around the field, which gives Josh a chance to apologize to Emma.
- Emma is moody at first and tries to blow it off, but eventually she lightens up and they make up.
- When Tyson and Kellan come back they all start talking about the bonfire. Emma, however, says she's staying home.
- Emma's upset because Josh is going to the party with Sydney. Even worse: She knows they aren't Facebook friends in their future.
- After lunch she runs into Cody and manages to impress him with a quote from Wayne's World. As they walk toward the track field, he puts his arm over her shoulders and she can't believe her luck.
- She runs extra hard at practice to impress Cody, and afterward, he invites her over to listen to that Dave Matthews tape.
- Before meeting Cody at his car, Emma catches up with Kellan and fills her in. She also asks Kellan to drive her car home since, you know, she's getting a ride with Cody.
- Kellan insinuates that she and Tyson might be getting back together and then asks about Emma and Josh. Emma shuts the topic down fast, though, and then leaves.
- Josh is hanging out at the half-pipe with his buddies. He tries to seem relaxed, but he's super stressed about the party—after all, this could change a lot.
- Once home, Josh opens up his closet full of old childhood treasures. He pulls out his old sketchbook, where he sketched a portrait of Emma a while ago. Emma loved it at the time, but he didn't think he drew her right.
- On a new page, he begins a new drawing and feels like he is starting over.
- Cody apologizes for his dumpy car, which Emma finds adorable.
- They listen to Dave Matthews and Cody critiques the tape as they drive—he sounds like a total music expert.
- But he blows his cool when he almost hits a cyclist and starts yelling about the guy being in his way and gets mad at Emma for screaming when it happened.
- They stop at the mall so Cody can get his class ring engraved; he ignores a comment from Emma about asking the shop to look at her broken necklace.
- When they get back in the car, Cody casually asks if Emma wants to go to his aunt and uncle's house to use their speakers to listen to the tape; he assures her that they won't be home.
- As they pull up to a gorgeous house and Cody punches in the security code, Emma feels nervous and fluttery inside.
- Josh has been working on a series of abstract charcoal drawings when he hears Emma's car pull into the driveway. He's confused when he sees Kellan get out.
- Kellan delivers the news that Emma is with Cody, and furthermore, she blames Josh for them hanging out because of some "weird competition" (55.13).
- Kellan also calls him out on his "whatever" attitude toward Sydney. She says that no girl deserves to get dragged around—not even Sydney.
- Out of desperation, Josh calls his brother. Even though he knows that David is gay, he hopes that maybe he'll be able to shed some light on his situation.
- David is impressed when Josh tells him about Sydney; his brother went to school with her hot older sisters.
- But Josh tells him that he's just not so sure that it's the right thing for him.
- David knows his little brother well, though, so he says that even though Josh likes to go with the flow, occasionally he's going to have to be active about figuring out his life.
- David tells Josh that if there's another girl he likes better, he should absolutely think twice about Sydney.
- Meanwhile, Emma is giving Cody a shoulder massage in a gorgeous house.
- When her fingers start aching she stops and he offers to give her a massage. His massage turns seductive right away and he starts kissing her shoulders. Emma is trying to remain calm, but then starts thinking logically.
- She asks him if he comes here often with other girls, a question that obviously irritates him. As he continues to rub her shoulders, she starts to realize that he's really conceited and doesn't talk about anybody but himself.
- Emma's made up her mind, and with that, she jumps up and tells Cody that she wants to go home. Cody responds by getting irritated, which only makes her more ready to bounce.
- When she insists on walking home, though, he grabs her and tries to make her stay. She shoves him off, calls him a jerk (or something to that effect), and leaves. You go, girl.
- On her long walk home, Emma thinks about Josh and Facebook—basically everything bad that's happened to her all week.
- Then it hits her: This stuff might be happening because she's messing up her present.
- She thinks about all of her ex-boyfriends and realizes that they're all nice guys, not jerks like Jordan Jones Jr., who was probably cheating on her.
- And now, finally, she realizes that she never let anybody get close enough to love her. Who knows? Maybe this is why she ends up miserable with her future husbands. At the rate she's going, she might end up marrying a jerk like Cody.
- When she gets home she sees a note from her stepdad saying that he wants to spend some time with her to make up for going into her room without her permission.
- Then she checks her messages and hears a voicemail from her dad apologizing for being busy lately. The reason he's been busy is because his new baby daughter has been in and out of the hospital.
- Emma starts to cry and realizes she's been too wrapped up in herself to even think about Rachel (her stepsister) since she was born.
- She logs onto Facebook. Luckily she hasn't changed her password yet and her status today says that she's thinking of getting rid of her account altogether.
- This time, instead of checking to see where she lives or who her new husband is, she scrolls through her friends and finds what she's looking for: her stepsister is alive in fifteen years.
- Emma starts crying in relief.
- She and Josh are also friends again. And this? It's all Emma needs to know.
- Emma calls her dad back and talks to her stepmother, who sounds really stressed out; Emma reassures her that Rachel is going to be okay, and then they chat for a little bit.
- After she gets off the phone, she steps outside and sees a note that Kellan put on her car. Kellan insists that they go to the bonfire together.
- At the dinner table, Josh is trying to convince his parents that going to the bonfire with Sydney doesn't count as a date.
- This leads his parents to fun topics such as curfew—they warn him that he needs to be back from the party at the usual time.
- Sydney arrives at the door looking fantastic as usual. Even Josh's parents are impressed.
- As they're leaving, Josh's parents remind him to be back by curfew. Thanks, Mom and Dad.
- Kellan and Emma are on their way to Rick's party; Emma wishes that she didn't have to go, but thinks it's a good idea to keep an eye on Kellan. As they arrive, Kellan promises that if Emma has a terrible time, they can leave early.
- They get out of the car and run into Tyson, and together they all walk down the path to the lake.
- Once they get there, Emma looks out over the lake and realizes that this is the beginning of Josh's new future with Sydney; a future she's not a part of.
- Finally they spy Josh and Sydney sitting together on a log, and Tyson yells to get Josh's attention.
- When Josh tells Sydney that he's going to say hi to his friends, Sydney insists on joining him.
- Emma looks really out of it and barely says hi, so they chat with Tyson and Kellan; Sydney is polite and friendly.
- Their conversation is cut short, though, when Emma jumps up and announces that she's getting something to drink.
- Kellan joins Emma. She admits that she thought things with Josh might work out okay tonight., then she offers to take Emma home. Emma can tell that she and Tyson aren't ready to leave the party yet, though.
- Tyson offers to drive with them to drop her off, but Emma catches a look between them, and remembers seeing a couple of sleeping bags in the back of Tyson's truck. No way is she leaving them to make their big mistake tonight.
- Emma runs over to Sydney and Josh and awkwardly asks to borrow Josh's sweatshirt. When he gives it to her, she whispers to him that she needs his wallet, too.
- She takes a few steps back from the crowd and quietly takes the old condom out of Josh's wallet and puts it in the pocket of her sweatshirt. Then she gives it back to him.
- Emma gets back to her friends and hands Kellan the sweatshirt, saying she might need it to keep out the cold later in the evening. It's a long shot, but hopefully they'll notice the condom in the pocket if they need it.
- Before she leaves, Emma hints that the pockets are really soft.
- Josh sits on the shore trying to stay warm under a blanket; Sydney has gone off to get a warm drink and he wonders where Emma went.
- Sydney comes back and they both settle under the blanket. She says that it was nice of him to give his sweatshirt to Emma, saying that he's "one of the nice guys" (61.9).
- She also says "being nice doesn't mean you get everything you want" (61.17). Sydney doesn't exactly say it in a mean way, but it makes Josh kind of sad; it feels like it's aimed towards their fated relationship.
- Josh and Sydney sit together under the blanket, but nothing more happens.
- Emma logs onto the Internet and it's happened: Facebook is gone. She must have deleted her account just like she said she would.
- As she climbs into bed she thinks about her future self—the one without a Facebook. Just like her future self must have felt like Facebook was too distracting, she realizes that her present self should focus a bit more on her life, too.
- She hears a car pull up into the driveway and assumes that it's Sydney's. She imagines Josh giving her a kiss goodnight and bursts into tears. Josh is going to marry her and live happily ever after and she missed out on the best thing ever.
- Josh is actually getting a ride home from Graham. As he gets out of the car, Graham tells him to say hi to Emma for him, and Josh takes this opportunity to ask him how he actually felt about her.
- Graham gives an honest answer: If he had wanted commitment he wouldn't have wanted to miss out on her.
- Josh sits up in his room looking at his drawings. As he does, Tyson comes bounding up the stairs and yells at him to get up.
- Tyson and Kellan have asked Josh's parents to extend his curfew and they're taking him out for some fun with Emma.
- Now that they have Josh, they need Emma. Her bedroom window is dark, but from Josh's window, they yell at her to get out of bed.
- Emma wakes up and is confused: Why is Tyson yelling at her to get up? She looks out the window and sees them in the glass holding a note telling her to get downstairs in three minutes.
- They all pile into the car and Josh asks where they're going. Emma is surprised that he isn't in on this scheme either.
- They head to GoodTimez Pizza, where it's so late that they have the place to themselves.
- Tyson and Kellan start playing the arcade games, which gives Emma the opportunity talk to Josh alone. They chat for a little, and to Emma's relief, it's not awkward.
- At the same time, Emma and Josh both admit that they have something to tell each other.
- Emma goes first: They can't get into Facebook anymore since her future self canceled her account.
- Josh's turn: He's decided not to be with Sydney.
- After these confessions, Tyson and Kellan yell at Josh and Emma to join them in the ball pit.
- In the pit, Emma's hand accidentally touches Josh's—and rather than pulling away, he puts his hand over hers.
- Josh stops thinking about his future for the first time all week. In this moment, he only cares about the present.
- Jumping from one thing to another, Tyson and Kellan decide that they're hungry so they go running off to the kitchen to find pizza. They invite Josh and Emma to come with them, but they're not finished talking. Obviously.
- Emma has something else to say: As much as she wants to stay at home for the best summer ever, she needs to go visit her dad.
- When she says this, Josh feels like he misses her already. But he knows that she needs to go, so he says it's cool, though this doesn't stop him trying to talk her down to a shorter visit; he even bribes her and says he'll throw her a return party if she cuts her visit short.
- Emma compromises and asks for a date instead. She admits that she's glad Facebook is gone.
- As they lean in for a kiss, both of them wonder what this moment will do to their futures.