The Girl on the Train Chapter 27
Advertisement - Guide continues below
- Cathy gets Rachel a job interview, but instead of preparing for it, she decides to go see Scott when he calls her, even though she just promised never to see him again.
- She reads a story in the paper saying that Megan's baby daddy, Craig "Mac" McKenzie, actually died four years ago, so he isn't a suspect.
- When Rachel gets to Scott's place, he's been drinking.
- He's upset because the DNA results came back… and Megan's wasn't pregnant with his child. It was another man's baby. Yikes.
- Scott flips out and grabs Rachel, demanding she tell him about all of Megan's lovers.
- Oh wait—she can't because she never knew Megan.
- Scott gets even angrier because Detective Riley told Scott that Rachel was just "a sad little liar with no life" (27.36). Dang.
- He grabs Rachel's purse and shakes out all its contents.
- Her phone clatters onto the table, and Scott reads the screen—it's a text confirming her appointment with Dr. Abdic.
- The one time Rachel's phone is actually charged and it's terrible timing. Now Scott thinks Rachel was in cahoots with Abdic.
- He drags her upstairs and locks her in a spare bedroom. Wow, this went from zero to cuckoo for Cocoa Puffs really fast.
- Rachel scrambles around for something to defend herself when Scott comes back.
- She finds a broken photo of Scott and Megan and she grabs a shard of glass, just in case.
- Scott returns with the list Rachel made way back in Chapter 7.
- He mocks her and calls her pathetic and tells her to get out of his house. Rachel runs for it and escapes.
- She runs to Tom's house and leaves him a note through the mail slot saying she needs to talk to him; then she goes home.
- At home, Rachel calls the police, saying Scott imprisoned her in his house for a half hour.
- Detective Riley doesn't really take her seriously but says she can come to the station and make a statement if she chooses.
- The detective also tells Rachel to stay away from Scott—for real this time.
- Now that Rachel has seen how violent Scott is, she pretty much believes he did it.
- On her way home from giving her statement at the station, she bumps into the mysterious red-haired man again.
- This time she speaks to him and asks him about what happened the night Megan disappeared.
- Red, whose name is Andy, tells her that he found her in the underpass.
- She'd fallen and cut herself and her "bloke" (27.95) was heading the other direction. Could that have been Tom?
- Andy says the other man was with a woman. He offered to go after them, but Rachel told him not to.
- Rachel goes home, and this conjures up all sorts of memories.
- So it was Tom walking away and getting into the car with Anna.
- But if they were together, where was the baby? Anna never leaves the baby behind.
- The next day, Rachel calls Tom.
- She asks him why he never called after getting her note, but he says he never got a note.
- Anyway, Rachel asks him where Anna was that night, and Tom says she was at home with the baby, not in the car with him.
- This is getting strange, right?
- Tom tells Rachel she was a hot mess in the street that night and he was just trying to help.
- "Don't call anymore" (27.132) he says, and hangs up the phone.
- Rachel spends the rest of her Saturday moping, but at least she isn't drinking.
- As she's falling asleep, she has one more memory: Tom punching her in the face in the underpass. Yikes. Did that really happen?
The Girl on the Train Chapter 27 Study Group
Ask questions, get answers, and discuss with others.
Tired of ads?
Join today and never see them again.