The Glass Castle Part II, Chapter 20
Advertisement - Guide continues below
Part II, Chapter 20
- When Jeannette is eight, town miscreant (or serial killer-in-training) Billy Deel takes a shine to her.
- Billy will not leave her alone, so Jeannette says she will be his friend, but not his girlfriend.
- Billy gives Jeannette a ring and eventually kisses her against her will.
- Billy even puts his tongue in Jeannette's mouth and says that means that he raped her.
- Jeannette looks up "rape" in the dictionary and doesn't understand what it means, so she keeps the whole incident to herself.
- After Jeannette gives Billy his stupid ring back, Billy shoots a hole through their window with a BB gun.
- Lori gets Dad's real gun and fires it at Billy. That alerts the cops, who wonder why the kids are home alone and firing guns.
- When Dad finds out the fuzz is snooping around, he decides the family has to leave Battle Mountain.
- The kids are allowed to bring only one thing each. Jeannette brings a rock.
- And off they go, into the night.