The Glass Castle Part IV, Chapter 10
Advertisement - Guide continues below
Part IV, Chapter 10
- Mom's brother, Uncle Jim, whom we've never met, dies. So now we'll never meet him.
- Mom wants to buy Jim's share of their mom's land.
- Mom asks Jeannette for a small loan. One million dollars.
- Jeannette practically does a spit-take.
- That means the land that Mom would never sell is worth one million dollars.
- The family lived in poverty for their whole lives, and Mom never sold this land.
- Jeannette declines Mom's request for a loan, and Mom says, "I'm deeply disappointed in you" (4.10.26). Mom's disappointed in Jeannette.