The Other Boleyn Girl Chapter 38
Advertisement - Guide continues below
- Anne is due to be the king's baby mama in August, so she refuses to let Mary go to Hever during the summer.
- Mary is furious that Anne holds such power over her, and they argue about it.
- Mary says she wants to go to Hever after the baby is born.
- "After the baby is born you can go to hell if you like" (38.18), says Anne. Honestly, hell would be an upgrade from Henry's court.
- On the political front, the pope rules that Henry should be excommunicated from the Church.
- The court worries that an invasion from Spain may be the next attack against Henry, and advisors plan for conflict.
- Anne worries that the king will ditch her for causing even more trouble.
- The only way for Anne to guarantee her safety is for her to pop out a royal baby boy.
- Anne wants to have the royal christening gown for her baby, but Henry is unable to get it from Katherine.
- Soon, Anne is secluded in her birthing chamber for the month before the child's birth.
- Mary is happy to have Anne out of her hair for a while. A nine-month pregnancy doesn't seem long enough.