The Other Boleyn Girl Chapter 41
Advertisement - Guide continues below
- With Anne pregnant again, King Henry will be more like King Randy, looking for another woman in court.
- The family decides to have Madge Shelton, Anne's cousin, stay in the king's good graces.
- The Boleyns also think it's time for Mary to be married; they don't know about her secret marriage to William.
- Mary keeps her mouth shut.
- William swears no man will ever come between him and Mary.
- Before William and Mary can worry about their future, something terrible happens: Anne experiences bleeding and pains.
- Anne may be losing the baby.
- George and Mary know they cannot tell the king, so they go to find a midwife.
- The midwife brews a potion that should help Anne be rid of the dying baby.
- Anne drinks the potion and writhes around in pain for a long time.
- The next day, Mary finds Anne lying in a mass of bloody bedsheets.
- The unborn fetus is in the blood.
- Anne and Mary's mother tosses the baby into the fireplace and burns it.
- Mommy Dearest coaches Anne to tell the king she made a mistake instead of admitting that she had a miscarriage.
- "A miscarriage is proof of sin" (41.113).
- Anne worries she may never have a boy. It could be the king's fault, but she will take all the blame.