The Other Boleyn Girl Chapter 6
Advertisement - Guide continues below
- Henry declares Mary the "Queen of May" (6.14) and even lets her sit on Katherine's throne.
- Mary's faux queenship is interrupted when Anne gets terrible news: Cardinal Wolsey has discovered her marriage to Henry Percy, and he is not happy.
- Wolsey summons Anne for an audience and tells her he disapproves of the marriage.
- Anne assures Wolsey he can do nothing about it: the marriage has been consummated. She promises to be a good duchess.
- Wolsey promises to take Anne's wishes into consideration. Yeah, right.
- A Boleyn family meeting is convened.
- Anne's uncle promises to have the marriage dissolved, so that Anne's reputation is not ruined.
- "But I love him" (6.78), Anne says.
- Anne's uncle does his best Tina Turner impression and is all like, What's love got to do with it? Marriage is a business, and what he says goes.
- Anne is furious at her uncle and upset that she might lose her "only love" (6.97).
- The family decides to exile Anne to Hever, as they did with Mary, until the Percy problem is dealt with.
- When Anne is gone, she receives a letter from Henry Percy, who, like Rick Astley, is never going to give her up.
- Anne's mother forces Mary to respond as if she is Anne, saying "I have to give you up" (6.124).
- Mary is upset that she has a hand in breaking her sister's heart.