Advertisement - Guide continues below
- It's the summer of 1935, when Antonina, the zookeeper's wife, wakes up.
- Some people wake up to make the donuts; Antonina wakes up to take care of the gibbons.
- Not Leeza Gibbons. These gibbons.
- As far as plot, that's literally it for this chapter. If you were expecting action, you're reading the wrong book.
- For a few pages, Ackerman tells us a bit of Antonina and her husband's history. He became zoo director in 1929. They married in 1931.
- Antonina thinks she has a "strange and mysterious" (1.22) gift that allows her to talk to animals.
- They had a son, Ryś, in 1932. Antonina and Jan, we mean; not Antonina and the animals.
More on The Zookeeper's Wife: A War Story