Advertisement - Guide continues below
- It's spring. What year? We have no idea. Considering it was December 1943 in the last chapter, we assume it's 1944.
- Older children from the Underground arrive at the zoo, and Ryś makes friends with them.
- One day, the mother of one of Ryś's friends comes to Antonina. She overhead the boys plotting to hang a flag that says "Hitler kaput!" on it.
- What is a childish game to these kids could mean death for everyone.
- Jan and Antonina foil the boys' plot.
- Jan asks Ryś how he should be punished.
- Maybe by eating a whole bunch of chocolate? That would just be awful…
- But Ryś says, "You can spank me" (26.24), and his father does so. Hopefully there is chocolate after.
More on The Zookeeper's Wife: A War Story