Advertisement - Guide continues below
- Riding his bicycle around the zoo, Jan encounters a woman talking to a parrot. Polly want a straightjacket?
- The woman is Magdalena Gross, a sculptor.
- Jan suggests that Magdalena stay in the zoo and sculpt animals.
- Magdalena and Antonina form "an important friendship" (3.3), but we won't see Mags again until Chapter 18.
- In the summer of 1939, young Ryś befriends a badger and leads him around the zoo by a leash. Or he plays with his friends.
- However, a war is brewing, and these little games of "build[ing] fortifications for war" (3.13) don't seem all that innocent anymore to Antonina.
More on The Zookeeper's Wife: A War Story