July 7, 1963
- During the summer, Gordon gets up early, determined to stick to his Canadian Air Force workout.
- While running on the beach, he thinks back to the summer he spent with his Uncle Herb on Long Island, just after his father began to get sick.
- Saul Shriffer calls him in mid-July to say that his finished his observations of Hercules 99. He found nothing.
- Penny and Gordon talk about his professional problems after she finishes surfing; Gordon doesn't think he can keep working with guys like Lakin.
- On the beach, they run into Cliff. Gordon suspects the meeting was not much of a coincidence and gets furious at the implications.
- He rudely gets up and goes for a run.