October 7, 1963
- Gordon watches as the NMR curves begin to warp; he records the data and gets another message.
- He eagerly calls up Claudia only to be told she'll start running experiments today.
- Gordon gets a call from his mother, who is upset her son didn't tell him he was in Life magazine.
- Gordon apologizes, and his mother says he'll ruin his health if he keeps working like this. Duly noted, Ma.
- Claudia's group finds nothing.
- Gordon calls Ramsey and learns he has broken down the picture into a plausible molecular configuration and one that resembles a pesticide.
- Gordon gets a call from Claudia—her experiments have shown some odd interruptions. Gordon requests that she see if it fits Morse code and gives her his home number.
- At home, Penny is upset that Gordon won't go with her to her parents' in Oakland.
- He receives a call from Claudia. The data checks out: It's a message.
- Penny and Gordon are overjoyed, and Gordon agrees to go to Oakland.