Treasure Island Chapter 14
Advertisement - Guide continues below
The First Blow
- Jim looks around himself: the island is marshy and uninhabited.
- He comes across a glade of trees.
- He hears a rustle from a surprised bird and assumes that his shipmates are about to appear.
- He hides in a tree and listens.
- Two people are talking: Long John Silver and a sailor named Tom.
- Long John Silver is explaining something to Tom – it's unclear what.
- Tom answers: Silver, you're a brave, smart, rich guy – why would you follow the words of this bunch of low-lives?
- Tom's answer is interrupted by a scream off in the distance.
- Tom jumps and reaches out his hand to Long John Silver.
- Long John Silver leaps backwards out of reach and demands that Tom keep his hands off.
- Tom tells Long John Silver he must be feeling guilty about something, to be so afraid of Tom.
- Tom asks what that sound was.
- Long John Silver doesn't sound upset at all when he says it must have been Alan.
- Tom says Alan was a true sailor and tells Long John Silver he won't join Silver's group even if it means his death.
- Tom turns around and sets off for the beach.
- Long John Silver grabs a branch and hits Tom across the back, then stabs him twice.
- Jim faints.
- When Jim comes to, he sees Long John Silver pull a whistle out of his pocket and blow a series of notes as some kind of signal.
- Jim grows frightened and crawls away.
- Jim is lost and too afraid to go back to the ship.
- He thinks he's either going to starve to death on the island or be murdered by the mutineers.
- Jim has reached a hillier, more thickly forested part of the island.
- Something makes him stand stock still, his heart beating quickly.
Treasure Island Chapter 14 Study Group
Ask questions, get answers, and discuss with others.
Tired of ads?
Join today and never see them again.