- The Preface jumps right into the action, starting the novel off with an unknown narrator (we later find out it's Bella) telling us that she's about to die.
- "The hunter" stares at her across the room, and she knows she's going to die.
- At least her death is going to be noble, since she's dying in place of someone she loves.
- And even though she's scared, she says, "When life offers you a dream so far beyond any of your expectations, it's not reasonable to grieve when it comes to an end" (Preface.4).
- What kind of "dream" was she offered? Let's find out...