- Louie, Tinker, and the other POWs from Ofuna are greeted at Omori by a corporal named Mutsuhiro Watanabe.
- And by greeted, we mean they have the snot beat out of them.
- "This man, thought Tinker, is a psychopath" (4.23.9).
- Watanabe flies into a rage at the slightest provocation, and he singles out Louie as the subject of his wrath for some reason.
- But sometimes he also brings them candy and cigarettes.
- And, of course, other times he threatens to behead them.
- The camp accountant, Yuicho Hatto, believes that Watanabe is a sexual sadist who gets pleasure from punishing the men.