- In late 1946, Louie and Cynthia meet Phil and Cecy and Fred Garrett for dinner.
- Unfortunately, Fred starts screaming hysterically when the waiter brings them a plate of white rice (he really wanted brown).
- Louie, too, is suffering from flashbacks and PTSD, in a time before "PTSD" is a term.
- He also has trouble finding a regular career.
- His training for the Olympics fails when he exacerbates his ankle injury.
- His solution is just to drink more and more, and he becomes obsessed with the idea of going to Japan and hunting down and killing the Bird.