- Here's what Louie's life looks like: drinking, falling prey to scams, losing all his money, drinking some more, plotting to find and kill a man in Japan.
- One night he even gets so disoriented that he can't find his way home.
- His relationship with Cynthia turns abusive—she throws dishes at him, and he chases after her and grabs her by the neck.
- When Louie can't pay for his car, he thinks that God is toying with him, and he forbids Cynthia from going to church.
- Cynthia ends up pregnant, and Louie realizes that he has to take responsibility.
- However, one night he wakes up from a dream in which he's strangling the Bird, and he's actually strangling Cynthia. Yikes.
- Baby Cynthia, nicknamed Cissy, is born at the end of December.
- Louie's a great dad… except for that time Cynthia walks in and finds him shaking the baby. Cynthia files for divorce.
- Meanwhile in Japan, Shizuka Watanabe opens the door to find her supposedly dead son, the Bird, standing on her doorstep.