- At the University of Southern California, Louie makes some friends: Payton Jordanand Jimmie Sasaki.
- We're told that Jimmie is some sort of Japanese spy or something: His "attempts to pass as a student were apparently an elaborate ruse" (1.5.5). Like 21 Jump Street, we guess.
- Louie sets an NCAA record by running the mile in 4:08.3, and he even does it with bleeding shins and an impaled toe caused by a fellow runner kicking him with his cleats. These guys play nasty.
- Unfortunately, the Olympics get canceled because of a little thing called World War II.
- In 1941, Louie joins the Army Air Corps, but drops out because of airsickness.
- He ends up working as an extra in the film They Died with Their Boots On and is drafted.
- Unfortunately, Louie hadn't read his papers when he resigned from the air corps: he'd agreed to rejoin them. So now Louie's gonna be a bombardier.
- After Pearl Harbor is bombed, America is at war.