Advertisement - Guide continues below
Chapter 14: January 6, 2001
- Eva recalls a few details of her trial, like when the attorney asked if Eva ever worried about what Kevin did in other family's homes.
- "Frankly, other children rarely asked Kevin over more than once" (14.11), Eva responds.
- Eva talks about how Kevin never seemed affected by violence, as if he were born desensitized to it.
- Then Eva tells the story of Kevin's first gun: a squirt gun.
- During the move, Kevin loves squirting the movers in the pants and making fun of them for peeing themselves. Charming.
- Eva tries to discipline Kevin, but Franklin undermines her, saying that Kevin is just having fun.
- In the new house, Eva hides the squirt gun in a kitchen cabinet. When she finds Kevin climbing up to get it, she calls Franklin in because she isn't tall enough to get Kevin.
- Franklin, of course, thinks Kevin earned the gun back by making such a death-defying climb.
- Eva gives the gun back. That night, she wears a white dress, and Kevin fills his gun with grape juice.
- Later, Eva decorates her office with world maps she has collected.
- Kevin doesn't understand why, so Eva tries to explain that the maps are special to her. Kevin thinks they're dumb junk, and that she's dumb for putting them up.
- Eva leaves to answer the phone, and when she returns, Kevin has ruined the maps by squirting them with red and black ink.
- "Now […] it's special," he says (14.92).
- Eva snatches the gun and stomps it to bits.
More on We Need to Talk About Kevin