Advertisement - Guide continues below
Chapter 9: December 18, 2000
- Eva recalls being diagnosed with "postnatal depression" (9.5) back in 1983.
- Eva tries hard to form an attachment to Kevin, but he just depresses her.
- After developing mastitis, an infection of the breasts, Eva can't nurse, making it even harder to bond with Kevin.
- The woman who used to travel all over the world is now stuck at home with a baby who cries and screams all day long.
- When Franklin comes home, he diminishes the situation, saying Kevin is "crabby" or "fussy" (9.31).
- The mastitis infection causes Eva's temperature to rise to 104 degrees. Only when Franklin sees how sick Eva is does he display any tenderness toward her.
More on We Need to Talk About Kevin