What I Saw and How I Lied Chapter 21
Advertisement - Guide continues below
- Evie can't sleep after such an intense encounter, and so she goes out to the pool and tries to sleep on a floating raft.
- Then Mrs. Grayson comes out and tells Evie that her husband is packing up the car. Apparently they heard on the radio that a hurricane is coming as well.
- Mrs. Grayson tells Evie that Mr. Grayson is mad at God because so much of his family died in the war. His cousin's daughter was Evie's same age—they even had the same birthday.
- Evie says that she doesn't understand why they were kicked out, since they just fought a whole war about it, but Mrs. Grayson gently tells her that the war wasn't about the Jews.
- Then Evie tells Mrs. Grayson that she hated seeing them kicked out, and Mrs. Grayson says that she's glad that she saw it—and that Evie felt sick about it.
- At the end of their conversation, Mrs. Grayson hands her a note for Joe. It says that Mr. Grayson is pulling out of the deal.