- The film opens with some mood-setting exposition text. The text informs us that five million people will die from a deadly virus in 1997.
- Huh. It isn't as funny as Gilliam's "a moose bit my sister" opener, but let's see where he goes with this.
- Hard cut to a hypnotizing wheel of red monkeys and some opening credits set to a rendition of Astor Piazzolla's Suite Punta del Este.
- Another hard cut to a boy's eyes wide with disbelief. He watches as a man is shot to death in an airport. A blonde woman rushes to the man's side to comfort him in his final moments.
- We're now officially two minutes into the movie. You sure you're up for this?