All Quiet on the Western Front Scene 11
Advertisement - Guide continues below
- The company sits in a dugout as the enemy commences a bombardment.
- Kat, Paul, and Westhus play cards, but after five days of shelling, no sleep, and rats stealing food, Paul is starting to unravel.
- Kat calms him down, and Paul even makes a joke. Westhus accepts Paul as one of them.
- Kemmerick has a dream and sees himself in Behn's place. An officer arrives to inform the men that the bombardment is getting worse, but they'll try to get food to them soon.
- A shell hits close to the bunker and blows dirt into the entrance.
- Kemmerick panics and tries to escape.
- Paul grabs him, and Kat punches him back to his senses.