Advertisement - Guide continues below
- Cut to George, as Zorro, in a much poorer-quality film. He jumps skillfully over a stone wall and hides under a bush, flashing his beautiful smile.
- Real-life George sits silently in the dark, watching his former self execute daring feats on the projector screen.
- As he spots his shadow, George scoffs. "Look what's become of you," he snarls. "You've been stupid, you've been proud."
- His shadow takes off and George descends into a drunken freakout, pushing over the projector and tearing apart all his film reels.
- With the wreckage of his career lying at his feet, George lights a match and sets the whole thing ablaze. Yikes!
- George clutches his film remaining film reel as the flames surround him.
- His dog, who's the best, busts his way outta there and sprints down the sidewalk in search of help.
- He finds a policeman and uses his stage tricks ("play dead!") to communicate the situation.
- The policeman chases the dog back to George's home, which is now billowing smoke and gathering a crowd.
- He drags George's limp body from the burning house.
- One woman in the crowd recognizes him as the famous George Valentin.
- It seems like George might be dead, but he's still clinging to the film reel.
- The policeman takes his pulse. Phew. He's just passed out from smoke inhalation.