Brokeback Mountain Scene 27
Advertisement - Guide continues below
- Ennis visits a tired old woman in a tired old house.
- The ramshackle estate belongs to Jack's tired old parents.
- They have a cup of coffee and remember Jack.
- Ennis offers to take Jack's ashes.
- Jack's dad says Jack thought he was too special to be buried in the family plot.
- Jack used to talk about Ennis all the time, it seemed. (Aw, shucks. Now we're getting weepy again.)
- He would say Ennis would move in with him and help run the ranch.
- But this last spring, Jack talked about another fellow who'd help him run the ranch.
- Mom puts a comforting hand on Ennis's shoulder, and asks if she wants to see Jack's room, which she always kept the way he had it as a boy.
- Ennis ascends the tired old staircase to Jack's boyhood room.
- There's a sad little bed in one corner, and a sad little desk in the other.
- In the closet, Ennis finds the denim shirt Jack wore on Brokeback Mountain.
- He embraces it and weeps.
- Ennis takes the shirt with him.
- Dad says that Jack will be buried in the family plot, so his ashes won't be spread on Brokeback Mountain.
- You suck, Dad. That's the nicest thing we have to say.