Advertisement - Guide continues below
- Roxie takes the stand.
- She admits to having an affair with Fred Casely because she was unhappy at home.
- While playing demure housewife, she crosses her legs and reveals some thigh to the male jury.
- Then she cries that she isn't a criminal.
- She spins the story like this:
- Roxie told Fred that she and Amos were having a baby and that she was breaking it off with him.
- With some coaching from Billy, she says Fred yelled at her and threw her.
- "And we both reached for the gun," but she got it first.
- She shot to save her husband's innocent, unborn child!
- Then she faints. Billy rushes to her aid, and she whispers to him, "What a bull's eye, huh?"
- Velma, listening to the radio from jail, is furious that Roxie stole her act and her garter.
- But Mama stole something for Velma: Roxie's diary!