- Shockingly, the state calls a rebuttal witness: Velma Kelly.
- Who looks fab in a furred collar.
- Roxie's diary is admitted to the court as Exhibit X.
- Billy tries to render the diary inadmissible, but Roxie's outburst reveals the diary is hers.
- Velma reads the diary, in which Roxie says she's sorry… that she only got to kill Fred Casely once.
- Roxie objects, saying she never wrote that! She seems to be telling the truth.
- Now Billy has to do some damage control, which in Roxie's imagination, is a deft tap dance.
- Velma admits she made a deal to testify in exchange for the state dropping all charges against her.
- Billy has her read a new entry, in which Roxie says Fred didn't get Roxie a deal at the Onyx, so she shot him. Except the language is pre-tty flowery for Roxie.
- Billy accuses Velma of perjury, but she says she's only doing what she was told.
- Gasps in the courtroom!
- Velma throws Mama Morton under the bus, saying someone gave Mama the diary.
- Billy accuses the prosecuting attorney of using Roxie's confession, and her handwriting, to forge the diary.
- And the defense rests.