- Mary Sunshine is reporting live as the jury returns with a verdict.
- Chicago goes wild, buying papers with the headline INNOCENT.
- But gunshots ring out in the street—a woman has shot a man dead on the courthouse steps!
- All the papers are trampled. Roxie's verdict is immediately forgotten.
- No one wants to take her picture.
- Billy tells Roxie he was the one who forged the diary. He couldn't take a chance, because he's never lost a case.
- Billy leaves, but Amos is still in the courtroom waiting for Roxie.
- He wants her to come home.
- Roxie tells him Amos "there ain't no baby."
- All she cares about is getting her picture in the press.
- So Amos leaves, while Roxie looks out the window at the streets of Chicago.
- Cue song: "Nowadays."
- In a slinky black dress, Roxie sings, "You can like the life you're living, you can live the life you like."
- Back in reality, Roxie is singing the same song at an audition at the Onyx.
- The casting agents wonder if she killed a man before, but they can't remember.
- They dismiss her before she's done with the song.