Driving Miss Daisy Scene 14
Advertisement - Guide continues below
- Hoke parks the car to eat.
- Miss Daisy talks about her first visit to Mobile, in 1888, for a wedding. She was 12 and in the wedding party.
- She talks about dipping her hand in the ocean—the Gulf of Mexico to be specific—for the first time.
- Before they can leave, two white cops stop Hoke about the car.
- Daisy says it's her car and provides the registration. They ask about her strange last name.
- She says it's of German derivation.
- The cops seem disgusted that everything is in legal order. Hoke is only guilty of driving while black.
- Shaken by the encounter, Hoke drives away. Out of earshot, the police call them a "n*****" and an "old Jew." Welcome to Alabama.