- With Jenny gone, Forrest is at loose ends. He starts running and doesn't stop.
- He runs across his town, then his county, and then across Alabama and all the way to the Pacific Ocean. Then, he turns and runs back the other way until he hits the Atlantic.
- Eventually, people hear about what he's doing and become inspired by him. But, they want to know why Forrest is running, and the uninteresting answer is that he just feels like it.
- People even start joining Forrest in large groups on his runs and asking him for advice as if he's some sort of life coach, and Forrest ends up inadvertently giving out some great ideas.
- After three years, two months, 14 days, and 16 hours, Forrest stops running for no particular reason.
- He's feeling tired, and he's going to head home.