Advertisement - Guide continues below
- Forrest eventually makes the All-America football team and gets to meet John F. Kennedy. How super exciting!
- But all Forrest remembers about it is that he drinks around 15 free Dr Peppers and has to pee the whole time he's shaking JFK's hand.
- Forrest also reminisces about how JFK and his brother Bobby were both shot dead.
- After five years of playing football, Forrest gets a college degree. His mother couldn't be prouder of him.
- After the ceremony, a recruiter comes up and asks Forrest to join the Army. That's exactly what Forrest does.
- When he climbs on the bus taking him to basic training, it's like the first day of school all over again, with no one wanting to sit with him.
- Finally, a black man named Bubba offers him a seat and asks if he's ever been on a real shrimping boat. Turns out, Bubba has a way of telling people about himself, just like Forrest.
- Bubba comes from a long line of mothers who have cooked shrimp for white masters.
- The Army turns out to be a great fit for Forrest because he has an easy time following orders and he's exceptionally good at putting together his weapon.
- He and Bubba become BFFs, even though (because?) their conversation mostly consists of Bubba listing every single way of cooking shrimp. The man has a serious thing for shrimp is what we're saying.